RULES TEMPLATE FOR GAME DESIGNERS
By Michael Gray,
former Head of Global Games Acquisition, Advanced Technology & Innovation,
Date: ________ Game Designer: ____________________
Ages and Number of Players:
Game Object: Three lines about how game “works,” including ultimate object.
Game Contents: List ALL components and indicate if it’s a deck of cards or a sheet of cards to be punched out; a free-standing game board or a game board to be punched out, a bag of tokens or a sheet of tokens to be punched out, etc…
Game Assembly: How do you assemble the game for the first time?
• Is consumer assembly required? If yes, what?
• Are DRAWINGS required? If yes, of what parts?
• Are there consumer-applied labels? If yes, how many? For where?
• BATTERIES? If yes, size, number and where do they go? Back? Bottom?
Game Setup: How do you set up the game for each playing?
• Does youngest player go first? If not, how is this determined?
• Does play pass to the left? If not, what is turn order?
• Define terms (if necessary)
• Turn Sequence: On a player’s turn, what is the sequence of actions?
• Special conditions: Example: What if you land on another player?
• Board Spaces: What happens on special spaces?
• Special Cards: What do they do?
• How is the winner determined? Do you have to win by exact count?
• What if there’s a tie?
• For a harder game
• For 2 players (or any number other than 4)
Troubleshooting and/or strategy tips
Re-storage Considerations: if any
Lost parts: Can replacement parts be purchased? Provide address or website